My Musing Space: Numb chin syndrome update #1

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Numb chin syndrome update #1

I got very busy in the last few days, which is a bit of a blessing because it took my mind off of my mouth problem. Not that I am not aware of it every minute of the day, just that, as human beings are apt to do, I am getting used to it. The again, not focusing on it all time allows me a certain degree of perspective when I do pay attention and compare all the details.

Doing an assessment now, I can say that there has been further improvement. The intensity of the sensitivity of that small triangle between the small lump in the middle of my left chin and the left half of my lower lip is slowly diminishing. It doesn't hurt as much when anything touches the area. The numbness itself is still there, but my impression is that even that is getting better.

Besides the lingering discomfort I still have a patch of bruise, from the lump down to the top of my neck, not on the surface but in the underlying tissues, so it is just barely visible. My cheek is also slightly swollen still, but that is only noticeable if someone points it out. A drawback of this swelling, though, is the fact that I keep biting the inside of the cheek. The most unpleasant part of the whole healing process is that, as nerve activity improves, the teeth of the whole area react by experiencing sharp jabs, dull "squeezing" pain, or a low level throbbing pain. It is worst on rainy days.

To summarize it: all in all things are looking up,

1 Comments:

Blogger morrisonm said...

Thank you so much for blogging this experience. I'm at day 7 of numb chin/gums/lip. I'm experiencing the tingling and pain. It is very helpful to read this chronological account of what I can expect. Particularly relieving to read the happy ending!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home