My Musing Space: Paresthesia update #1

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Paresthesia update #1

This morning I woke up realizing that the lip sensitivity is still there. The skin is very thin and extremely sensitive, almost as if it was "majorly burned" by some kind of strong spice. It is a very annoying sensation, specially combined with the general tingling of the whole chin (left side only). By the afternoon I actually started to sink into depression. On top of the local pain I also have had an underlying low level headache for the last three days which today produced a quite strong nausea. After lunch I just went to bed and ended up sleeping a few hours. When I got up, the headache was still there but the nausea was thankfully gone.

Now I decided to do some further research. I have been taking extra vitamins and minerals already from before the surgery, just based on my previous understanding of helpful stuff in such instances. These are (per day): 1 multivitamin, 1 B complex, folic acid (2mg), zinc (100mg), Vit E(400mg), Vit B12(1000mg), and Vit B6(50mg). Sifting through info on the net I realized that I was on the right track. The only extra they recommend is Vit B1 (Thiamine), but of course I got some of that, too, in the B complex. What they say is that if the axon in the nerve was not actually severed, one must not give up hope on the body eventually repairing itself.

I also found a very interesting interview with Dr. Les Weiner . From it I found out that there already exist some neuroprotective drugs that they use for stroke patients and trauma cases. I was just thinking, shouldn't third molar extractions be worthy of consideration for such measures? Particularly after an onset of paresthesia becomes obvious?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home